Articles, Blog

Vaping teen shares X-ray of ’70-year-old lungs – damaged by e-cig habit and mystery lung disease’ –

November 16, 2019


A TEENAGE vaper has shared a shocking video of him convulsing as he warns e-cigarettes have left him with the lungs of a “70-year-old”  Adam Hergenreder, who he started vaping when he was 16, says he started to feel unwell last month but thought it was stomach flu  The 18-year-old, from Illinois, US, said he started to “randomly convulse” and it felt like he was “having a stroke”  After three days of uncontrollable shivering and vomiting, his mum Polly took him to hospital where he was put in intensive care  Initially docs didn’t connect his symptoms with vaping and he was given anti-nausea medication, but the vomiting didn’t stop  They then carried out a CT scan of his stomach and noticed something unusual about the lower part of his lungs so decided to do an X-ray  Adam told CNN: “That’s when they saw the full damage.” Nearly died  Doctors said that if his mum hadn’t brought him into hospital within the next two or three days he could have died  She sat by his side for the next six days in hospital where he was connected to IVs and oxygen  A disturbing video of him lying in his bed on the ward hooked up to tubes shows his body convulsing as he struggles to breathe  Dr Stephen Amesbury, a pulmonologist and critical care physician at Advocate Condell Medical Center in Illinois, told the broadcaster: “If his mum had not brought him to the hospital within the next two to three days, his breathing could have worsened to the point that he could have died if he didn’t seek medical care  “It was severe lung disease, especially for a young person. He was short of breath, he was breathing heavily  “It was very concerning that he would have significant lung damage and possibly some residual changes after he heals from this ”  Adam, who has since been discharged from hospital but is still recovering, is urging people not to vape  He said: “I don’t want to see anybody in my situation. I don’t want to see anybody in the hospital for as long as I was ”  The teen admits he took up the habit to “fit in”, adding that “everyone else was doing it”  Adam said: “It didn’t taste like a cigarette. It tasted good.”  He said the flavours appealed to him, especially mango, and the nicotine provided a buzz  “He would wake up in the morning and would puff on that Juul and then cough,” said mum Polly “He would hit it several times throughout the day. My son was going through a pod and a half every other day, or a day and a half ”  Eventually, he went from vaping over-the-counter e-liquids to vaping THC, the psychoactive component of marijuana  But it was soon after that he started to feel unwell and eventually ended up in hospital ‘I didn’t know’  Adam said: “If I had known what it was doing to my body, I would have never even touched it, but I didn’t know I wasn’t educated.”  His ordeal follows a spike of mysterious and life-threatening lung diseases – believed to be linked to vaping – over the summer  In the US, six people are now reported to have died from vaping-related lung illnesses What are the dangers of vaping in the UK? In the UK, e-cigarettes are tightly regulated for safety and quality  They’re not completely risk free, but they carry a small fraction of the risk of cigarettes  E-cigarettes do not produce tar or carbon monoxide, two of the most harmful elements in tobacco smoke  The liquid and vapour contain some potentially harmful chemicals also found in cigarette smoke, but at much lower levels  While nicotine is the addictive substance in cigarettes, it’s relatively harmless  Almost all of the harm from smoking comes from the thousands of other chemicals in tobacco smoke, many of which are toxic  Nicotine replacement therapy has been widely used for many years to help people stop smoking and is a safe treatment  There’s no evidence so far that vaping causes harm to other people around you.  This is in contrast to secondhand smoke from smoking, which is known to be very harmful to health  Source: NHS  The latest person to die was in their 50s and from Kansas.  They were in hospital “with symptoms that progressed rapidly”, but also to have had a history of underlying health issues  While more than 450 people, mostly otherwise healthy and in their teens or 20s, have shown up at hospitals with breathing difficulties  Often they’ve also suffered with vomiting, fever and fatigue for several days prior  Some have even ended up in intensive care on a ventilator for several weeks.  It’s prompted health bosses to issue a warning while they investigate the issue  The US’s health protection agency, the Centres for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC) said earlier this month that people should “consider restraining from using e-cigarette products”  So far, officials say the cause is unknown, but they are carrying out investigations  We pay for your stories! Do you have a story for The Sun Online news team? Email us at [email protected] co.uk or call 0207 782 4368 . You can WhatsApp us on 07810 791 502. We pay for videos too Click here to upload yours.

2 Comments

  • Reply Emiliano Pastor November 7, 2019 at 1:12 pm

    Fix the title, he got sick not due vaping but using THC obtained from illegal sources, and even the cdc is already coming clear and admitting that this illnesses were related to illegal black markets products…

  • Reply Jay Hartbarger November 8, 2019 at 9:55 pm

    Knowing what we now know about this story, I wonder why a viewer would look to you for truthful news content. He did NOT get sick from vaping an ecig. Yet you show several times, pics of ecig use. Putting an illegal product into a legal one and blaming the legal product is not really truthful news telling.

    The CDC has (three months after everyone else already knew it) stated that all cases of lung illness showed use of vit E tainted product use. Vit E is not used in ecigs, it is ONLY used in THC vapes from illegal sources. That is something he admits he bought from a "drug dealer" his own words to the press.

    Furthermore, he is now suing all parties. He is suing the bodega where he bought the Juules, (he broke the law by buying them while underage, yet he is suing them for selling to him. What does that say about him and his parenting? He is suing Juul for being a "gateway" to the illegal drugs. Really? Let's sue aspirin makers for being a gateway to opioid abuse. Same logic. He is a fine example of a person we should not be looking up to, but as a drug user who does not take responsibility for his abuse, along with his parents who support his attitude.

  • Leave a Reply