Articles

Recording of U.N.I.T.E. meeting held September 19, 2019

December 29, 2019


>>That’d be great.>>Okay. So, let me get attendance here. So, I’ve got Ron. Jared, is D-E-N-T-O-N, right Jared? Denton, is it D-E-N-T-O-N?>>Yeah, that’s correct.>>Okay. And then I’ve got Lee, Frances, Debbie,
Joseph, and is Jonathan Collins on the call?>>Yes, definitely.>>Just an FYI for those that are not
on the board, Tammy was not able to be with us this afternoon and Joseph is in the car and he’s asked me if I would
conduct the meeting. So, that’s probably why you hear
me talking more than normal.>>Okay. And right now I have seven
people, does that sound right? Did I get that right?>>Yeah.>>Okay. Alright. Ron, let me see if I can pull minutes
up from June and just read them. I think I have them. Maybe here. They may be on my Google Drive,
I’m just looking here for a second. I know they were sent out. I distinctly remember they were. Because we had a speaker if you
remember, we had the woman who spoke about the phone program we were trying
to get a discount, do you remember that? That was on — we did have
a speaker on our June call, they’re just — if it brings back any memory. Let me see. It might be on my Google
Drive, hold on a second.>>Hello.>>This is Ron. Hello.>>Yeah, Ron, is this UNITE?>>Yes, this is the UNITE
membership quarterly meeting.>>Okay. I don’t know if I’m part of your
— part of this but my name is Wayne Claw. I’m with the Navajoland Nursing Home
in Navajo Nation in Chinle, Arizona.>>Hi, Wayne, thanks for joining us.>>Yeah, I didn’t know if I was
allowed to get on but I thought, well, I need to voice my opinion too. So, I felt maybe I invite my part now.>>No, we’re excited that you’re on it, Wayne. Yeah, no, anybody and everybody is
welcome to be on the membership call. We appreciate people’s attention.>>Aha. So, there are some things I’d really
like to right now that I need some support on them and I think a lot of it would also be
that I think the other tribes can use this also to maybe acquire more funding
and other things too. And my concern was a lot those things
and I guess I’m — Mrs. what’s her name? The head of this — Debbie?>>Wayne, this is Debbie Dyjak,
I’m actually on the call.>>Okay. Well, a little in
truth’s been going on.>>Well, I’m really, really
glad that you called in. And this is our membership call. So, yes, you are absolutely delighted. We’re just, right now what we’re doing is
just giving a quick review of the minutes from our last membership call
which was actually on June 20th. And I’ll just give a quick summary, Ron.>>That’d be great.>>Okay. So, Ron Ross is our treasurer, Wayne. Our secretary just resigned and our
president could not be on the call today, which is Tammy Reed at Morning Star Care Center.>>Ron’s a new person that opened the
Oklahoma Sioux Nursing Home, right?>>That is correct, aha.>>I was just reading about
you about 20 minutes ago.>>So, just a quick review. On June 20th, we had a guest speaker of Josaka
who’s a Bolo and she was the one that talked about the phone program for tribes
where they can get discounts. Ron gave an update on our grant application
including some work that Jared Denton from Native American Health
Management was doing. And then we talked about our
executive director search. And we talked about our LeadingAge
Conference which, of course, now is coming up in about six weeks. And then Kauffman & Associates gave — we had a call on June 24th to talk
about our best practice report it and then they were able to do some interviews. I believe that was done that he will
give us an update on that today. So, thank you all. And, Ron, do you want to
see if we can approve those.>>Yeah, pick a motion for
the approval of those minutes.>>I motion.>>I second.>>Lee seconds. All in favor.>>I.>>I.>>Any opposition?>>No.>>We stand approved.>>Okay. And, Ron, that was the federal
lifeline benefit for tribes that was called.>>Okay. Yeah, she gave a good
program, yeah, that was good. So, the next thing on the agenda we’re
probably just going to bring everybody up to speed on the annual meeting. We’ve been talking about it for some time. It’s in conjunction with the
LeadingAge annual conference. It’s in San Diego. Our meeting is going to be Sunday, October 27th. Wayne, have you given any consideration or do
you know anything about our annual meeting?>>Debbie did talk to me about
it and I’m planning on going — I am planning on going because I — half of the
reason — the reason I thought a lot, you know, I really want this — there
are a lot of things I think I’d like to get involved in and share with you guys. So, my interest here — now I’ve been so busy
building this building and apartments here, you know, my mind has been on that
all the last five or six years. So, now I can — they’re all done so now I
have time to participate in other things, yeah.>>That’d be great.>>Congratulations.>>Oh, thanks.>>Wayne, this is Lee, congratulations
on your new buildings.>>Okay. Thanks. That’s — well, I did send some things
to Ron also to congratulate them over that Sioux what they’ve done. And it’s really — I know it’s a lot of work
and it took me 14 years to do that here. And I tell you, it’s a lot of work, a
lot of begging for money just, you know, 15 people getting support and all of that. It’s a lot of.>>Yeah. And possibly, Wayne, you know,
Frances is with the Tohono O’odham Tribe and the Archie Hendricks’ facility. She’s on the call. And Frances is very active with UNITE. There’s probably, not to, you know, capture
this meaning but the three of us probably ought to have a conversation here
soon too about things that the Tohono O’odham Tribe is exploring for
additional money for their tribe from the feds.>>Okay. I’m probably going to
explain to you what I’m doing too. I’m going to be in DC next week and I’m
meeting with the senator for Medicare, Medicaid at 1 o’clock over there and
then at 10 o’clock in the morning, I’ll be meeting with Indian Health
Services at Indian Affairs Office, with a lady by the name Kiddie Marx.>>Yeah, I know Kiddie.>>Yeah, and the other one
is the VA hospital 2716. And the other one is the senate
bill for the veterans’ nursing home. I’ll be there for that on Tuesday and so. I’ve been pushing these issues last 10 years. And, you know, so they are finally starting
to appear that they look good, you know, so… If you give me a chance for a little while. And I hate to break into your meetings. If you maybe give me a chance in a while
to explain a lot of things that we’re doing and I’d like to share it with you guys. And there are funding opportunities
that we found, you know, that I can probably share with you guys also.>>No objections, Wayne. Go ahead.>>I think I’ll find Wayne because we were going
to have a speaker and weren’t able to do that. So, you know, I think that’s
fine, you can be our speaker.>>Just for formality, all those that are
on the line and those that are listening, my name is Wayne Claw, I’ve been here 14 years. I used to work for FEMA for the Indian Affairs
for FEMA and Corporation for National Services. I used to do a lot of work with them out of
Phoenix and different areas in Washington. But this job I got in with the nursing home when
it was really failing 14 years ago and my job — they hired me here almost to rebuild a
new facility which we finally will do on January 23rd, we have a new
80-bed facility, a brand new. It cost us $27 million. And, of course, you know, just last 14 years
begging for money, I’ve got money out of it — a little bit of money from the tribe
and the rest I’ve got from HUD. So, then we built 28 apartments here using
HUD money also, apartments for the staff here. So, we just got them those. And they moved in December last
year, in about a year or so. That took almost 14 years to
that, begging for money and so on. The other thing that I’m involved in and
then one of the things that in the state here of Arizona, a lot of the third party
reimbursement we do with the state. And a lot of that is determined
by the state legislation here. And, you know, we have that rule in urban
area funding that they provide which I know as tribes — we’re so far
away Phoenix, you know, that we pay so much money
for transportation costs. And it doesn’t really work for us because
we don’t get enough money from them. And even though our residence was high. We get a little bit of money from 638,
VIA, through social services, you know, which has not — there hasn’t been
an increase over the last 10 years. And finally, that’s going to
happen in the next two months. The other one I’ve been looking a
lot into is the public law of 93-638, I don’t know if a lot of
you are familiar with it. There’s an area in the law and under public
law 93-638, there’s funding for nursing homes, long-term care, assisted living and home-based. And I’ve been working on that
and finally I’ve got our tribe and our nation council to approve that 638. And I can provide a lot of those
laws and information to you if you guys can send me your email. It’s an opportunity to get money for
operation and maintenance funding and a lot of other professional salary
nursing through public law 93-638. I’ve been advocating in through our
tribe and also our president to advocate through the National Indian Health Board to
advocate for money to put in that account. So, it’s an agreement between IHS and us. Anyway, I’m sure some of you know that falls
under the title one for four years and then after that, you fall under
your own nation, your own tribe and state government for 15 years on title five. So, we found that with attorney
and we’ve been advocating, we’ve been trying to get some money in there. I’ve got invited from Indian Health
Services, Indian Affairs in Phoenix — I mean, if Washington and that’s who
I’ve been meeting with to find — to try to get some money in there, not only
for Navajo, for everybody, all the tribes. I was told that by a gentleman
five years ago, that came and said, “Don’t do only for your tribe,
Wayne, do for all the tribes because that way Congress
approves it a lot faster.” So, that’s what I’ve been doing. So, I’m going to be going down again,
meeting with them again on that issue. So, hopefully that by 2020 January there’s
money in the NOFA under that law anyway. So, again, like I said, if I give my email
to Andy, I assume he’ll send you emails and I can send those to you where that law
says what money qualifies under 93-638. The other one I’m working on right now, the
project which I discussed and designed then is for the Veteran Nursing Home here on our ground. And I finally got some money here two
years ago and we finished the design of 60-bed nursing home for our veterans. And when I applied two years ago with the feds
and asked if I can get some construction money, I was told there’s no such money in for
tribes to build nursing home on reservations. So, I start a house bill with Heather
Lynn and some other state congresspeople like Kurt Patrick, Mick Sally,
and representative of natives out of New Mexico, Helen. We were supportive of others so we
have a House bill that’s existing in Washington, it’s 2716 house bill. So, that’s moved on. And they were supposed to drop the Senate
bill on labor NAVA and it hasn’t happened yet. Now, I understand it’s going
to happen sometimes in October. And that’s for legislation for Congress
to pass a law to have money set aside for veterans’ nursing home on reservations. I’ve been working with some of the
smaller tribes here to try to get support and threw some letters to the
congresspeople about that. And but it looks pretty good
and so I keep on going. We had Mr. McCain that was our lead person
on that five years ago, then he passed away. So, we have Heather Lynn and
Kurt Patrick do that now. But this all — this again is setting aside
precedence for all the tribes, not just Navajo. And again, I don’t like to
do just things for Navajo, I think everybody else should
have a share in these, you know. You find something like this,
you’ve got to share it, you know. So, that’s always been my idea. So, again, that’s some of the things I’m doing. And looks real good that might go. But we can keep — I can keep in
contact with all of you about that. Since, you know, you’ve been all
involved in nursing home, assisted living. And veterans they need help,
they need some place to go. So, that’s always been my motives
that we need to help them too. So, that’s the reason why I’m
working on this project for them. So, but again, funding is very important. Under this law, sits a lot of veterans
or elders, they qualify also to use that money too under the public law 93-638. So, that’s some of the things we’re doing. Of course, once we’ve come 93-638, we’re
going to have to hire our own survey team out in Albuquerque to do our annual visit and
do the survey for us which has taken off also. That’s some of the things that are changing. I noticed that under that public law
638 will be able to work a lot closer with the hospitals that are
638 here organization. So, we became part of it and we’ve been
working very close together with them where they can help us, assist us with
doctors and assistants and things like that. So, and we can work with IHS
because they were reluctant to do it because they’re IHS government completed 501 at
the time and we were always separated with that. So, that are some of the things
we’re doing and we have close to 283 Navajo elders that
are off the reservation. And I have been advocating to try to bring
all of them back, we just don’t have no room. And the president from the
Navajo Nation asked me if I could help them build some more
nursing homes here but I tell him, well, you’ve got to have the money to do it, you
know, everything takes money to do that. But my dedication to the elders, I’m 70 years
old so, you know, I’m dedicated to them, I want them to have a good place to go. And we finally do. And, you know, we have all our nurses
here on Navajo, majority are employees at Navajo, except about three of them. So, again, I was very surprised
that I happened to read the paper and I saw the native news anyway
and I saw that Sioux got theirs. You know, so I was very happy for
that because I was raised by a family from [inaudible] Harding, South Dakota. And so they raised me when I was young
when my family couldn’t afford us, they sent me to the family, so they
raised me until I went to college. Anyway, so they moved back to Pine
Ridge, between Harding and Porcupine. So, and that’s why I was excited
because the Sioux are doing something out there for the elders, you know. And my mother up there is getting old. So, the last names and cultures
and Janice’s family, yeah. So, I’m just happy for them, really I am. I’m glad I’ll be driving up that way this
coming summer to visit you guys on vacation. But again, that’s some of
the things we’re doing. And again, I’d like to start sharing
with you guys what we’re doing and I know you guys will probably help with a
lot of things too to do a lot more improvements. And I think, like I said, you know, it’s very
important that to me that we help the elders, you know, grow old together one of these
days and other ones and veterans too. I hope some families and veterans too. So, they are our brothers evenly. So, thanks again. Like I said, you know, I just got on with
you guys and, you know, I don’t want to — I’ll share some other things with you guys later on when I start getting a little
organized for the meeting.>>Wayne, that’s exciting. We will get your email and
maybe Debbie already has it. We’ll get you involved and we’ve actually
got a board seat that’s going to become open and I’m sure that the board would
want to visit with you about that. Not to capture but just to share
with you, Wayne, we did a 638, UNTE did Best Practices webinar
here with CMS a few months ago. Debbie can you send Wayne
that link to the webinar.>>Yeah, I can certainly do that, Wayne. Are you using the — which email are you using,
Wayne, because we have a couple of them for you?>>[email protected]>>Okay. Alright. I’ll send you that.>>Yeah, [email protected]>>Okay, great.>>Wayne, just to give you an idea there are
some other tribes that are accessing the 638. Wyoming right now, that nursing home is bidding
somewhere around $330, $340 a day for Medicaid. Montana, those two tribes up there are
getting somewhere around $460 a day.>>Wow!>>And I’m involved with two in South Dakota,
one of them is getting over $600 a day and the other one is getting $280 a day. And the one that we are involved with
for Pine Ridge it just happens to be on the Nebraska side of their reservation. And that facility is probably
getting somewhere around $450 a day. Wayne, again, I would encourage you and the
Tohono O’odham folks and some other folks to get together because it’s not
a federal deal, it’s a state deal. And the feds have already approved
all of this and it’s a state function with helping the state amend their state plan. And so, the opportunities are there
and Debbie will send you a link. We did this webinar, UNITE did several months
ago and CMS put it up on their website. So, the UNITE members are aware
of the opportunities with 638.>>Okay. That’s new to me, yeah.>>Wayne.>>Yes.>>This is Frances Stout, art sister. And I’m with the Tohono O’odham tribe now. But we need to just, as Ron
said at the beginning of this meeting, he and you and me need to talk. There are some questions I have because we
are moving towards 100% estimate payments. But I need to talk to you about it. So, Ron is giving us a conference call number. Can we use that, Ron?>>You sure could.>>Later in the afternoon, say in an hour?>>Yeah, we could do that.>>I’ll be leaving here. I’m sorry, but I have this money
that the tribe gave me two years ago and we still have a balance in there. And I’ve been trying to get our
nation president to find it. And I’ve just got a call here about
35 minutes ago that he signed it so I’ve got to go pick that up Windrock. His office is about an hour and 50
minutes’ drive and pick it up, yeah, take it to the office of
budgeting and management.>>Yeah, before they change their mind.>>So, Frances and Wayne, would you
like a conference call tomorrow morning? Would that work for you guys?>>Friday morning…>>Would it be? See, what I’m doing, ma’am,
is I’ll be leaving — I’m going to drop down, I probably won’t come
back because it’s a long drive back over here. And it depends how long it takes over there too. So, I’ve got to go there. I know the full day today I’ll be over in
Windrock and then tomorrow I have a meeting with the veterans which is about two
and a half hours driving from here. So, I’m meeting with them on that issue on
their veterans and nursing home over there. So, I’ll be over there and
I’ll be there all day. And then I’ve got to come back and I’m
flying 8:30 to Washington DC, and be there and then we’re going to get
together at 5:30 Sunday. Monday’s when we have a meeting with the
Indian House Services and then Affairs. And then we have another meeting with
CMS and then we have that other meeting on Tuesday again on veterans’ issue. And then I’ve got to fly
back Wednesday morning early. So, I can probably work with
you on Thursday next week.>>Thursday. What time — afternoon?>>One o’clock would be fine. It’s 1 here, it’s 1:30 here. What time is over there?>>There’s an hour difference between Phoenix and where Wayne is, they
are an hour ahead of us.>>Yeah, we’re at 1:30 here. So, what we’ll do then, we can work
on my time 1 o’clock, Thursday.>>That would be noon, Frances, for you. That would be noon for you.>>That’s fine, yeah.>>Ross.>>Yeah, 2 o’clock next Thursday
would work fine with me. I’ll just get Wayne’s email again, I’ll
write it down this time, Wayne, go ahead.>>Okay. It’s [email protected]>>Alright. Sounds good. Like I said, everybody is kind today. So, we’ll hook back up Thursday. Thanks, Wayne.>>Okay. Well, thanks to you guys. I know it took you little time to get me on
because, man, I’ve been so busy with buildings, bits, and just general contracts. That’s all that I’ve been doing for the last,
I think about six or seven years, you know. We’ve finally got all the
apartments and houses built.>>I know what that’s like.>>Yes. So, Wayne, we hope that you
can join us for the annual meeting on October 27th that’s in San Diego. Thank you. You know, you’ll get to know the
board and some of the other members. And, you know, it’d be great
to get to know you better. So, I’d like that you put that on your calendar.>>I have it right here in
my calendar right now.>>Alright.>>Okay. Then I guess I can
keep in touch with you on where is the location and all that, right?>>Yeah, it’s in San Diego Convention Center. But if you want to come to the
LeadingAge Conference by being involved with UNITE you can get the membership rate for
LeadingAge and they’ve got some great programs that will be going on Monday,
Tuesday, and Wednesday.>>Okay. Okay. That sounds good. I’ve just got another five-year contract so
I’ve got four to five years to stay here again. So, and I’ve got to get all these
veteran buildings and other things done, have funding in place and all that. So, I probably can walk out of here
without feeling worried about the place.>>Sounds good.>>So, Johnathan Collins is with KAI and
that’s an organization that helps UNITE. And they always have some things
to bring us up to speed on. Johnathan, do you want to
tell us what’s happening?>>Good afternoon, everyone. So, I just wanted to provide a few updates. Our elements and bids are finished the last best
practices report and have submitted it to CMS. Now, we’re just waiting on it
to be uploaded to the website. And once it’s uploaded to the
website, I will be sharing, you know, myself or Julie to whom we’ll be sending that
link to you so that you can take a look at it. And it was on trauma-informed care was the last
portion of trauma-informed care for the year. Right now we are at the beginning of our
contract with CMS for the next three years. So, we will need to set up time to meet with
the board and talk about the upcoming events for this year relative to the reporting
and the newsletter and talk on topics. So, I’ll need to find some time to meet with
them in the next weeks and start brainstorming.>>Hey, Johnathan, this is Debbie.>>Yeah.>>I have a couple of questions. So, will you be attending our annual
meeting like you have in the past?>>I don’t believe I’d be
able to attend this year. I have another contract that
takes up most of my time. I don’t know that I’ll be
able to travel for this.>>Okay. Will anyone from KAI be
able to attend that you’re aware of?>>Probably not in person, they
might be able to attend virtually.>>Okay. And also when you talked about a new
contract here, so does CMS approve working with us for another year because
there were some questions about that?>>Yes. So, we did and looking to talk more in detail
when we still need to meet with you and board on all the specifics of the contract. But they did approve continuing to support.>>Okay. That’s great. And was that the fourth trauma-informed
care best practice report, was that number four that just got sent out?>>Yes, it was.>>Right.>>Julie hasn’t sent that out, has she?>>I have not seen it. No. And how many people did we
end up interviewing on that? I know I was interviewed
that’s why I’m wondering.>>I want to say we interviewed you and Dr.
Winchester, I think we were only been able to do those two because of the time.>>Okay. Because I know there were
more names than that I sent to Julie. So, you think there were only two?>>Yeah. I’m looking at the
report, there is only two. I believe the issue was the time
constraint when people finally stepped back because it was past the deadline.>>Okay. Okay. Yeah, I know that was back in July. Okay. And could you update us also on the
newsletter because I don’t think I saw that? I might have missed it but I think
we weren’t able to do one, right.>>Right. We didn’t do one in August. But one just came out yesterday.>>Oh, okay. Sorry, I must have missed it.>>Yeah, it came out. It was sent about 4:15 yesterday,
Eastern Time yesterday.>>Okay. Great.>>I have seen that it came out.>>Great, thank you. Okay. Okay.>>I’m looking if anything else is updated live. Yeah, I don’t have any other updates right now. I’m just getting wrapped up for the year. Is there anything else, any
questions there for me?>>Okay. Why don’t I, Ron — why don’t I just
reach out to Johnathan and Julie and get a time and who would like to meet with them? Should we send it out to the whole board
or do you just want the small group because usually what we do at our
annual meeting is kind of pick a topic or two for the coming calendar year that we
kind of focus our best practice reports on? And so we may have to wait for those
topics until we have our annual meeting. But in the meantime, we could certainly, you
know, kind of flash out what the contract allows and what, you know, what we can get for that.>>Yeah, I would say, you know, just
knowing everybody’s schedule, Debbie, you should definitely be on that. I’m willing to be on that. And then if any of the board members
want to be a part of that, you know, I’ll give Tammy an update
too on today’s meeting. But I would say if any of the
board, we should send out an email to the board and just say what’s going on. And leave it up to them if
they want to be a part of it or if they’re tied up with some other stuff.>>Okay. Thank you. Johnathan, we’ll try to get that
for sure in the next couple of weeks and then we’ll have something
to offer at our annual meeting.>>Okay. That sounds good. And can you give me the dates for
the annual meeting one more time?>>Alright. Sunday, October 27th as part of the
LeadingAge Conference in San Diego. And we’re setting up, we will have a
call-in line so maybe if someone’s — it’ll just be like an hour, so
maybe someone could call in.>>Okay.>>Probably it will 11 o’clock California time. So, I don’t think we’re in the fall behind yet. So, I think we’ll be like
we are now timewise, yeah.>>Okay. Yeah, we don’t get
turned until November. I think that’s when the time changes.>>Yep, alright.>>So, Debbie, you have the
minutes, did you see something else that we were supposed to talk about today? Again, we’re waiting on the grant,
the information on the grant. And the search committee, I think is kind
of stymied with moving forward until we know that we have some money to hire someone. But I do know that the search
committee has received — what we say, Lee, 30 applicants or so?>>Yeah, at least 30 plus.>>But out of the 30, I would
say that there’s about maybe 11 that maybe we should consider
that’s if they’re still waiting. They could have found something in the meantime.>>Sure. And Tammy was wanting us to
advertise more in native publications. But, obviously, we couldn’t
do that without some money. So, I think she was interested in working with
the Search Committee once we got some money to put it into some native publications. So, even though it went out on ND and I think
we’ve got a whole bunch, she’s still interested in expanding our search to
get it in front of people that might have more of native connections.>>Okay.>>So…>>So, Ron, the only other thing as far as
like old business is that we’re probably going to need — so two things actually. One is that we did what we
said we were going to do. Frances and I met and came up
with some ideas for membership. We did get back to Katie soon, I’ve
got feedback from Lee and from Frances. We did the document, sent it out to the board. I have not heard anything back from Katie. That was about two weeks ago. So, I don’t know if I should just ask,
you know, should I send her another email to Katie just kind of — I
don’t want to bother her. I know that this’s a really busy time for her. But I’d like to get a little
feedback before we meet with them. So, I don’t know if you think should I go ahead
and send her an email or, Lee, maybe you could. I don’t know.>>What would you want her
to get just feedback to?>>Well, I mean, I just wondered what
her thoughts are on what I sent out, what we sent out to her, you know.>>Why don’t you try calling her?>>I guess I have her number. It’s probably in her email. I can do that.>>Sure.>>So, I would say that’s
one kind of pending thing and then the other is just the
details as the conference is held. So, I’m sure there’s going
to so a couple of things, we do have a hotel assigned to our group. We have a room in a hotel where we can meet. We have a room at the San Diego
Convention Center where we’re going to meet, where we can if we want to. They are providing lunch for us on Sunday. That meeting starts at 11. So, we just need to kind of confirm
all the times and meeting locations. And then I did forward an agenda to Katie. So, we should have an agenda. In the past, we’ve done some kind of like
a welcome letter for anyone who shows up and with some say copies of
the last two or three meetings, maybe a best practice report as an example. Do you all still want to do that for the 27th or
do you just kind of want to just have an agenda?>>Well, I’m waiting to hear
what everybody thinks.>>I don’t know. I haven’t thought of it.>>Okay. Well, I mean, I can certainly just —
you know, I think LeadingAge will be willing if we just send them maybe, you
know, a copy of something like one of the trauma-informed care
best practice reports. Maybe, you know, a couple of our — I did send Katie the evaluation
from last year’s annual meeting and also the minutes from
last year’s annual meeting. So, I’m sure they’ll be willing to put those
up in just kind of like a little folder and have it available for everyone who comes
to see some kind of, you know, historical, you know, backdrop to what we’re doing. Then the other thing is that we have booths
and we really haven’t talked about that at all. So, we’re going to need to all
probably take a turn working the booths and just being available to answer questions. Ron, I don’t know if we could
spend a little money on getting at least all the board members
like some business cards. Because I think that’s kind
of important to have. Iyana did send the brochure and again those — we probably need to print some of
those out and have them available. She did the updates on those. But, you know, we need something
besides just the table. So…>>I agree. We’ll work with Iyana on the brochure. It looks really nice. And we’ll get some made up and we
can look up some business cards too. So…>>Okay. I mean, they don’t actually have to
have names on them, it could just say UNITE and then all the new information
that I just think we need something. And certainly, we can bring, you know, like color copies of maybe a couple
of our best practice reports. You know, something on our table
to indicate the work that we do.>>Yes. And then we could, you know, if
you have some of those business cards, you could always write your name down
and your phone number too, you know.>>Right, right. So, I mean, we could even pull, you know,
make a few copies of our research directory for assisted living and tribes and just
have those available for certain people that might just be really interested.>>Okay. I think those are the things that we need
to plan for the meeting so that, you know, it’s good that they’ve given us — you
know, because, I mean, it’s going to be — we’re going to be novel, you know, of the several thousand nursing
homes that are going to be there. They’re going to want to know what
UNITE is all about and we are unique and so they might have some ideas
to stop and by and visit with us about some of the tribes in their area. So, it could be a good marketing tool’s worth.>>Right. Or to state LeadingAge group too
that can then reach out to their tribes.>>Yeah. Okay. So, do we have anything else
for the membership meeting?>>So, the next meeting is in December. It doesn’t have to be a long meeting. I’d really like to have a speaker. I do have a suggestion, it was
someone I met in my KYO work. And that is a girl from Gila River who just completed her degree,
I think it’s in public health. But she’s an expert in auditing
and understanding that whole process when facilities are audited. And I just wondered if you would like her,
she’s willing to speak at our December meeting. And if you’d like I can follow up with her and
I told her I’d be asking at this call today. And just kind of have her
give us some information on best practices when you’re audited.>>I think that would be a great idea, Deb.>>Since we’re a non-profit now, potentially
we’re on a way to be audited, correct?>>Oh, yeah, if we’ve got federal funds, we —
I mean, you know, the IRS can audit anybody. But, you know, even the federal
funds if we get federal funds. Most of those audits are just to make sure that we’re spending the money we
said the way we were going to.>>Okay. So, I will follow up with her. I’d see for the board that you guys have
her name and stuff and she’s willing to — so our December call would be the
3rd Thursday which is the 19th. So, it doesn’t have to be a long call. But just be aware of that. I did reach out to the three people
on the directory I said I would. Sally Hudson said she would really like
to attend the LeadingAge Conference. Wayne, of course, who was on today’s call. And I did get a call from
David Hunt and Winchester both. So, I’m hoping that they’ll consider coming. But either way, I think we
still have a nice core of people who are committed which is very encouraging. And so but still look at your directory. And if you have time in the next, you
know, before our meeting just reach out to maybe one person on
the directory, you know. Because just a call can make a big difference.>>Debbie, what time is the meeting on Sunday?>>I believe it’s 11 either 10:30 or 11. I’ll have to confirm that. I did send an email all the while
back and just didn’t hear from them. So, I think I’m going to just call
and go over everything over the phone. It’s probably easier. And then I’ll confirm it. But I’d say either 10:30 or 11. So, there’s a little bit of overlap there,
Frances, because some of the LeadingAge sessions on Sunday morning, we might be — you’re
going to have to possibly read those early because they go from like 9 to 12. So, you’re just going to
have to account for that. Yeah.>>Right. I’m asking because we’re all
signed up for the deep-dive session.>>Right. I know. So, there’s going to be a
little bit of overlap there. So, just be aware about it if
you signed up for those things.>>When was that? That was the morning of Sunday —
Frances, what kind of workup was that?>>Well, I’m calling them deep dive but
they used to call them [inaudible] . But our board members are signed
up for all of the Sunday morning.>>So, they are on your register for lunch.>>Yeah, I’ll send you a list.>>And they are also — I notice you can
disenroll from one of those and enroll for something new which is an
offsite visit Sunday morning. But again, just to remember that our
membership meeting starts before those are over. So, we knew that when we did
this that that was really about the only time that we could schedule this. So, just be aware that you’ll
have to leave the deep dive early in order to get to the UNITE meeting.>>Okay. Anything else for
the members on the call today? Is there anything we missed for them? You know, I think instead of going back on the number I just sent you
— Wayne, are you still on?>>Yes, I’m here, I’m listening.>>You’re welcome to listen
in on the director’s meeting. And again, I think down the road,
we’d probably be interested in seeing if you’re interested in becoming on the board. So, there isn’t any magic or mystery
stuff that the board goes over. It’s all public information. So, I think there were a couple of things
we wanted to finish for the board meeting. So, I’m going to call the membership meeting
over unless somebody has an objection and then go back into the
board of directors meeting.>>Yeah, I think we can end this meeting, Ron.>>Alright. I’ll take a motion to end it.>>Motion.>>Okay. Second to end the membership. Alright, Deb. All in favor say I.>>I.>>Okay. Thank you.>>Now, we’re going to go back. We’re just going to have a director’s
meeting and limbo a little bit until we’re done with the membership calling. So, now that that’s over, I’ll bring us
back together for the director’s meeting. What were some of the things
there that we were getting into and then we had to stall a little bit?>>One of the things that I would like us to consider now is the person
to be a point of contact. Well, there’s — you know, Tammy is our chair. So, with everything going through her — is
everything going to be going through her?>>Well, I think that’s a good point, Frances. I think what had had happened is we had kind
of picked Susan to be that point of contact and now that she’s resigned as the secretary, it
does bring up that point who should be the point because I think we were all under the
impression that Susan was going to be the keeper of the minutes and communication. And now that she’s no longer the secretary,
we probably need to have that discussion and see who’s willing to do it
or who has the time to do it.>>Yeah. Well, it’s mostly, it’s for sure
doing the minutes, sending the mails. But Susan was supposed to be like the
point person because up until, you know, we had our meeting in January
and became a non-profit, I would pretty much be doing all that. But, you know, I was given, you know — I
had some of that obviously I did on my own. And some of it was, you know,
wrapped up position. But, you know, now, you know, I’m getting
incredibly busy in my new work and I just, you know, don’t know if I want to commit
to that, you know, being the contact person for everything that needs to get done. I mean, I’m happy to do the minutes, I think
I anticipate being able to be on the call. So, that part of it I think
I’m still able to do that. But I don’t know that I want
to be the point person for every bit of work that needs to get done. I think we need to maybe reach
out to, I don’t know, Ron. I don’t know if Iyana would be willing or,
you know, maybe someone — I don’t know. I’m not really sure.>>Well, it’s just something that
we need to bring up with Tammy since she is the chair, she may have some ideas. I mean, if things could go through her first. I always think she’s planning something. We can’t plan it alone. It needs to go back to the board
members and say, “These are our options which do you think which will be the best.”>>I can volunteer to fill in for
Susan until we name a new secretary.>>Okay.>>Joseph.>>Yes, ma’am.>>Okay.>>Thank you, Joseph.>>That’s great.>>Well, I don’t anticipate doing it that long. Maybe I don’t agree or another person,
but again, I’m willing to do what I can.>>Right. And, Ron, we do need a new
board member and we need to follow up on Val Cryle and see where he is on this too. But, you know, the other thing, Frances to your
point and I’m not picking on anyone because, you know, I know this is
all volunteer, I get it. But when somebody does, you know, do
work and put together a document and asks for feedback, we have to get back to people. Because it’s very frustrating to put in
work and then send it out before board and you don’t get one email
back with anything, you know. And that’s very frustrating too. And that’s how you lose board members.>>Right.>>Okay. What else did we want to
finish up on the board meeting? There were a couple of other things
happening and I should have written them down.>>Well, just the board replacing
the board member.>>I think you’re right. We have — Ron, we should ask Wayne
if he’s definitely interested.>>Yes, I agree, I agree. I mean, honestly, Frances, he was at our very
first meeting that we held in Scottsdale.>>Well, should we ask Tammy to be doing
this asking him or should Joseph ask him?>>No, I don’t mind being on there. I think you’re guys doing a great
job and I think there’s a lot of information you guys gather I think it
would help just about everybody, including us.>>Frances, he stayed on the
call, Wayne stayed on the call.>>Okay. Well, our motion is to ask Wayne
if he would be a member of the board.>>Sure.>>I second.>>Ron, do we need like a quorum
or anything, what says our by-laws? Are we okay with that? Or can we just do that today?>>Well, yeah, I think, you know, I should
just come back and get a little familiar with what it does say about replacing
but now that we know Wayne’s interested, we can certainly do it after
we review the by-laws, we should probably try to
do it according to those. And then, I could send out an email — I’ll
visit with Tammy and we can send out an email to the board for both and I’m
sure it will come back positive. But let me just review the by-laws
to make sure we do it correctly.>>Okay. Thank you.>>But next Thursday will be fine too.>>Sure.>>Alright.>>What are you doing with my motion?>>I’m going to let it die.>>Okay. There’s no second, I’m sorry, Frances.>>That’s alright. We need to follow some sort of order here.>>Yeah. But I’m sure we’ll just figure out how
to do it, then we’ll be able to get Wayne on. But let’s just, like you say, let’s do it
the right way and find out what Val’s doing, find out what Susan is doing
because if they can –>>I just have one other item that really
bothers me and that is what is plan B if the grant does not come through?>>Well, maybe we’ll have to look at some help
part-time and, you know, an executive director that we might not be able to afford full-time, maybe somebody that all we can afford
is, you know, 25% time or something. And we have to put together
a break for the membership where we could afford to hire somebody. You know, I did resubmit the
grant with the Shakopee, you know, they told us that we had
to wait until September. I submitted another grant and, you know, don’t
hold our breath, I’m not holding my breath. But anyhow, we did resubmit it and — but as of
any real good money, I think it’s going to be on us to come up with the money to
hire somebody part-time, you know, somebody that can put 10 hours a week into this.>>Hey, Ron, I’m really sorry
but I have to get off the call. I’ve got other work I need to do. So, I’ve got the minutes where they are now. If there’s anything else you talk about,
let me know and I can add them on. I’ll send them out later.>>Thanks.>>Probably tomorrow morning.>>Yeah, we’re all in the
pickle as to how to go forward with plan B. Frances, do you have any ideas? Thanks, Deb.>>Well, I think what you said makes sense. And we’ve always been up until
now a volunteer organization. If we can get the membership structure
and get some money in the pot, then we can use that money to pay
someone just on a consulting basis and we’ll have to start with that. We don’t really have any other choices. We don’t want to go back and lose
everything we’ve done up until now. And people’s time to commit on a
volunteer basis is only so much. So, I mean, board I understand, executive
director, you’ve got to pay them some, you can’t expect them to do that
level of work with no payment.>>Exactly.>>Anyway, that’s my thought. Thanks. Bye, guys.>>Bye.>>Well, guys, I’ve got to get to Windrock too. Okay. I’m going to take off right now. I’ll talk to you guys next Thursday.>>Right. Thanks for getting involved.>>Okay. Bye, bye.>>Safe travel.>>Frances, I think that’s kind of where
we’re probably heading is if, you know, if we can’t have plan A, we’ve got to go to
plan B. And plan B is probably just coming up with some money so we can hire
somebody on a consulting basis where they can give us some consistent hours. Because there’s still so
much work that can be done. And we can move UNITE forward if we just had
somebody to have the time to put into it.>>Right. And are we going to still
consider ourselves a resource center?>>Well, I think that we all have
certain expertise and things like that. And, you know, I don’t know that we can meet
every tribe’s needs but there’s certainly a lot of needs that if they were to contact
UNITE somewhere in our organization, there ought to be somebody that could
help a tribe that reached out to us. And even if they aren’t a member
of UNITE, maybe we know someplace where we can send them to get that information. So, I don’t know what else we can do for them.>>Well, that was part of my concern
when we talked about membership. So, okay. Let me think about this.>>Okay. Well, you have some ideas,
we’re confident in that so that’s good.>>Yeah.>>Anybody has anything else they want
to bring up for the board meeting? Again, our board — you know, we probably
won’t have one necessarily for October if we’re going to meet on the 27th anyway. But we can get with Tammy and
if there’s something she wants to communicate to us, she can do that.>>Okay.>>Hey, Ron, I’d like to hear with you and Wayne
next week — Wayne and Frances if that’s okay?>>Sure.>>Thank you.>>No, that’d be great. Yeah, you guys should be
looking at it too, you know.>>Yeah, we should.>>Yeah, everybody should. Alright. I’ll chat with Tammy too and,
again, just knowing that we’re going to be getting together on the 27th
whether or not we need a board call which would be the third Thursday and that
would be the 17th, so that would be, you know, just about 10 days in front of the other one. So, I don’t know, I’ll visit with her
and she can make that call, how’s that?>>Sounds good.>>Alright. Thanks, everybody. Let’s get the minutes from Debbie and
then we’ll get them out to everybody.>>I have one more thought. I have an update I’ll give from
National Indian Health Public. So, the gentleman from the NCAI, policy
analyst, his name is Nicholas Cortney. Okay. I’m breaking, hold on. I was out in Temecula for the annual National
Indian Health Public health conference discussed Monday through Tuesday out there. And we — I spoke with Nick Cortney
from NCAI, he’s a policy analyst and he offered his help to UNITE. I believe we met him at the
annual meeting last year in DC. So, yeah, the NCAI still has us on their radar. And NCAI will be meeting the
next month in Albuquerque. So, I’ll do some follow-up of that meeting. We definitely need to get in with their — I believe policy analyst,
Policy Research Center, PRC. Because I think that’s some of
the data we need in the future when we submit grant proposal requests. Yeah. And to get responses about that
data that hasn’t even been gathered yet. So, that was just my thought.>>What is Nick’s background, did
you say he was an analyst of — what?>>He’s a policy analyst. And I think, you know, they all
have their fields of expertise. So, I would say he’s interested
because of the health connection.>>Okay. Cortney.>>So, and then another resource. I think I’ll follow up on that. I’ll send out to you an email. Oh, I did speak with Debbie yesterday. And plan B, Frances, my thought
is that here in New Mexico, we have a health grant called the
Con Alma Health Foundation Grant. And they are always looking for new –>>New what? Topics? We’ve lost him.>>I think he must have gone
under a tunnel or something.>>They don’t have tunnels in New Mexico.>>Yeah. Well, we’re all going to have to be scratching our heads
and think of what we can do.>>Oh, yeah. This is — you can’t just float along.>>Yeah. Okay. I’m not hearing anything. I think we’re going to call it a day, guys.>>Okay.>>I need a motion.>>Motion to adjourn.>>Here’s Frances.

No Comments

Leave a Reply