Articles, Blog

Becoming immune to the influx in influenza.mp4

November 21, 2019

The recent strain of Influenza has doctors busy at Iowa State’s Thielen student health center. it is a good
location for a virus.. they really like it in locations where people close
together and they are in contact with one another. Doctors are seeing mostly H3N2 influenza strains and some H1N1. the strains this year to the best of our knowledge,
aren’t any more virulent than in previous years. Influenza, known as the flu can affect anyone, but some are more susceptible. people that are affected more are those that have chronic underlying medical problems such as copd and the very old and the very young doctors recommend those groups
especially get the flu vaccine but they encourage everyone to get vaccinated. The CDC says this season’s flu vaccine has been 60 percent effective in protecting those vaccinated from the
flu. Older individuals or those that have less well functioning immune systems, very old, very
young are likely to have a lesser
effectiveness rate so relatively healthy people are more likely to have a even
higher rate than that. so why do you tell those students those students would look at this and say there’s still a 40% chance that i could get it or possibly more why get it? Why get the flu shot ? It’s always good to be protected even if you have a 60% effectiveness rate that’s still a good odds of being protected against the flu we know that the higher of number of people protected the less likely it is to circulate…the more people that have the vaccine the less likely the virus is to have a larger spread among the population so the population reasons as well as the individual reasons as to why it’s good to get the vaccine If you do get influenza, doctors want you to reduce the risk of spreading it. the best thing to do when you have an acute illness is to stay home and get well. keeping the spread from going to others and keeping the spread from advancing into the population Even if that means having to miss class or meetings. Some of the symptoms of influenza include shaking chills, body aches, fever and by fever we are talking temperatures of 101 degrees Fahrenheit and above, cough, sore throat, headache If you find that you are experiencing these symptoms, doctors say try to avoid the doctor’s office and the ER you want to try to eat well because eating well helps you maintain your ability to fight off infections. The main tool in fighting off infections for any one person is your good intact functioning immune system we really encourage people to be extra scrupulous with your hygiene cough into your sleeve and into tissues and wash your hands frequently and try to keep the surfaces you’re in contact with clean, bathrooms and other places there isn’t any one thing that’s sort of the magic bullet that will take care of it And, if you don’t have the flu: one of the best things to do is to make sure you’re washing your hands very frequently. washing is one of the number one things you can do to try to prevent getting the flu in the first place And avoid touching your face…where many germs can be spread. on average, people touch their faces anywhere between 100 and 200 times in a day They also recommend to get your flu vaccination if you haven’t already it’s not too late for students to stop
by the Thielen Student Health Center during normal hours but doctors warn of some common myths
associated with the flu. People think that they get the flu from the flu
vaccine. Not true We occaisionally encounter people in the public the perception n of vomiting and diarrhea what we call
gastroenteritis as the stomach flu but that’s actually not the influenza virus. That’s a different virus that causes that Dr. Scott Meyer recommends avoiding the
use of Tamiflu, which is meant to help those with
chronic underlying medical conditions Meyer says expect the flew to last about
three to five days the flu is something that makes people feel
awful when they have it but generally most healthy people are going to get
through that awful feeling in a matter of a few days and they’re gonna be able to
recover in return to their usual good state of health. The basic message really is
if your on otherwise healthy and don’t have significant underlying chronic
medical problems your best option is to stay home and get well. Staying home and
taking care of yourself, taking things like acetaminophen which is
tylenol for aches and fevers ,drinking lots of fluid, and basically try to keep yourself as
comfortable as you can while your immune system is doing its job

1 Comment

  • Reply Ethan Thompson March 2, 2013 at 10:11 pm


  • Leave a Reply